History of the Memmer Family
The Memmer roots are in the town of Kirkel in the detached area of Bavaria called the Rheinland Pfalz or palatinate. It is near the present German border of France and Luxembourg. The nearest Protestant church was in Neuhaeusel, which in turn was a part of the Limbach parish served by a single pastor. In 1794, in a battle between Ludwig Van Hohenlohe and Gen. Dormerswiller, the town was burned to the ground and all records destroyed. When the survivors returned, the pastor interviewed each family in an attempt to reconstruct the parish records. Thus records before 1794 are incomplete, relying on peoples memories at that time. This area passed back and forth between German and French rule. The marriage record of Wilhelms parents is in French with dates given using the French calendar instituted by Napoleon.
Wilhelm Memmer Sr. was born on 2 Jul 1808 in Kirkel-Newhaeusel, Rheinland-Pfalz, Bavaria, the son of Johann Barthel Memmer and Maria Margarethe Rohrbach. He was baptized on 8 Jul 1809. Sponsors were Heindrich Jacob Schwendeo of Kirchen, Johann Willhelm Rohrbach of Wellesweiler, Elizabethe, dau. of Michael Mueller of Kirckel, and Phillippina Sophia, dau. of Heinrich Memmer of Kirckel. He died on 17 Apr 1885 and was buried in the Florida Cemetery, Henry Co., OH. The tombstone was not found on a visit to the cemetery. Dates were obtained from the Henry County - Pleasant Twp., OH book listing cemetery inscriptions. William and Sophie Memmer emigrated from Rheinland-Pfalz, Bavaria in 1852. He purchased 40 acres of land for $240 in Richland Twp. (Sec.25) of Defiance Co., OH on 3 Oct 1852. On 30 Aug 1856 he declared his intention to become a US citizen. On 12 Jul 1867, he and his wife Sophie sold 80 acres to each of their sons, Jacob and Christian. In the 1870 census, he was living with his second wife, Elizabeth (born in England), in Flatrock Twp., Henry Co., OH. In the 1880 census he was living with the Jacob Dixon family in the village of Florida in Henry Co., OH. Mrs. Dixon was born in England (possibly the daughter of his second wife Elizabeth). He was married to Sophia Wagner (daughter of Georg Jacob Wagner and Maria Eva Hilpert) on 27 Apr 1837 in Newhaeusel, Rhineland-Pfalz. She was born on 4 Jan 1813 in Kirkel-Newhaeusel, Rheinland-Pfalz. She was baptized on 9 Jan 1813. No record has been found of Sophia's death. She was living on 12 Jul 1867 and signed the deeds passing their land to their sons. The 1870 census lists William Memmer's wife as Elizabeth, born in England. Sophia probably died between 1867 and 1869. He was also married to Elizabeth about 1869. Elizabeth was born on 14 Sep 1805 in England. She died on 17 Jun 1873 and was buried in the Florida Cemetery, Henry Co., OH.
Wilhelm and Sophia had the following children:
1. Wilhelm Memmer Jr. was born on 16 Jul 1836 in Kirkel, Rheinland-Pfalz. He was baptized on 20 Jul 1836. He was confirmed on 24 Mar 1850 in Newhaeusel, Rhineland-Pfalz. No record has been found of him in the United States.
2. Louisa Memmer was born on 10 Jun 1839 in Kirkel, Rheinland-Pfalz. She died on 8 Aug 1910 and was buried in Florida Cemetery, Henry Co., OH. She was married to Peter Kemmer on 31 Mar 1857 in Henry Co., OH. Peter Kemmer was born on 8 Sep 1829 in Prussia. He emigrated in 1848. He died on 31 Dec 1913 and was buried in the Florida Cemetery, Henry Co., OH.
Louisa and Peter had the following children:
Effie Sophie Kemmer (born about 1867) - married to Stanton E Miller. No children
Catherine Kemmer (born about 1869).
Mary E Kemmer (born in May 1873, died in 1949) - married to John Christian Pfau (son of George and Barbara Pfau ). Six known children.
Emma L Kemmer (born about 1876).
3. Jacob Memmer was born on 17 Mar 1842 in Kirkel, Rheinland-Pfalz. Birth was listed as 4 Mar 1842 in records of St. Stephen Lutheran at confirmation. He was baptized on 18 Mar 1842. He was confirmed on 3 Jun 1860 in St.Stephen Luth Ch, Defiance Co., OH. On 12 Jul 1867 he purchased 80 acres of land in Richland Twp. (Sec. 25) of Defiance Co., OH. He sold that land and purchased a house along the Maumee River in the city of Defiance on 14 Jan 1871. In census of 1880 and 1900 he was living in Defiance. According to Christian's obituary, Jacob was in California in 1918. He was married to Catherine Hoffman about 1865. Catherine Hoffman was born about 1841 in Bavaria, Germany.
Jacob and Catherine had the following children:
Christian Wilhelm Memmer (born on 26 Nov 1866, died before 1870)
Peter Memmer (born on 3 Feb 1868, died on 4 Feb 1947) married to Julia F Palm (daughter of Ludwig Palm and Sophie Schultz). Three known children. Also married Minnie Palm, sister of Julia.
Gustav Adolph Memmer (born on 28 Apr 1869).
Phillipena Memmer (born about 1870).
John Memmer (born about 1874).
Eva Margaret Memmer (born on 10 Sep 1874, died on 10 Nov 1895).
Elizabeth Memmer (born on 11 Dec 1875).
August Memmer (born on 13 Mar 1884).
Ludwig Memmer was born on 2 Feb 1845 in Kirkel, Rheinland-Pfalz. He was baptized on 4 Feb 1845. He died on 22 Mar 1845 in Kirkel, Rheinland-Pfalz.
4. Elisabetha Catharina Memmer was born on 22 Jul 1846 in Germany. She was baptized on 26 Jul 1846. She was confirmed on 3 Jun 1860 in St.Stephen Luth Ch, Defiance Co., OH. She died on 18 Oct 1907 and was buried in St.John Luth Cem, Holgate, Henry Co, OH.She was married to Peter Ricker (son of Johann Peter Ruecker and Anna Maria Ruecker) on 18 Oct 1866 in Defiance Co., OH. Peter Ricker was born on 18 Jan 1841 in Altenkirchen-Hohenahr, Rheinland, Prussia. He emigrated in 1854. He died on 3 May 1917 in Holgate, Henry Co., OH and was buried in St.John Luth Cem, Holgate, Henry Co, OH.
Elisabetha Catharina and Peter had the following children:
Mary E Ricker (born in Sep 1884). Adopted.
5. Christian Memmer was born on 8 Jun 1849 in Kirkel, Rheinland-Pfalz. He was baptized on 10 Jun. He was confirmed on 11 Jun 1865 in St.Stephen Luth Ch, Defiance Co., OH. He died on 14 Jan 1918 and was buried in Riverside Cemetery, Defiance, OH. Christian Memmer was three years old when his family emigrated from Bavaria in 1852. His obituary indicates that they came from Rheinbayern or Rheinpfalz, the detached area of Bavaria west of the Rhine river. On 12 July 1867 (age 18) he purchased 80 acres of his parent's farm in Richland Twp. (section 25) of Defiance Co., OH. In the 1870 census he was living with the family of his elder sister, Peter and Louisa Kemmer, in Flatrock Twp., Henry Co., OH. He probably took over his farm when he married in 1872. At the time of his death, he was an elder at St. John's Reformed Church, Defiance, OH. He was married to Anna Maria Ricker (daughter of Johann Peter Ruecker and Anna Maria Ruecker) on 8 Feb 1872. Anna Maria Ricker was born on 25 Aug 1853 in Altenkirchen-Hohenahr, Rheinland, Prussia. She was baptized on 28 Aug 1853. Sponsors were: Katharina, daughter of Ludwig Laeufer; A. Maria, daughter of George Ruecker III; Joh. Georg, son of Georg Ruecker; and Joh. Georg, son of Peter Laeufer. She died on 14 Mar 1945 and was buried on 16 Mar 1945 in Riverside Cemetery, Defiance, OH. Mary emigrated from Germany in 1854 at age of one year.
Christian and Anna Maria had the following children:
Catherine E Memmer (born on 8 Oct 1872, died on 24 Sep 1946) - married to Michael George Troeger (son of Johann George Troeger and Anna Martha Sauer). Two children.
Caroline Mary Memmer (born on 24 Oct 1874, died on 14 May 1953) - married to Ernest John Henry Troeger (son of Johann Adam Troeger II and Wilhelmina Sauer). No childen.
Sophie Memmer (born on 26 Mar 1878, died on 19 Nov 1944) - married to William Kilian Hohenberger (son of Michael and Mary E Hohenberger ). Three children, one died in infancy.
George Memmer (born on 2 Sep 1880, died on 30 Oct 1954) - married to Elizabeth 'Lilly' K Frank (daughter of Jacob and Katharine Frank ). Five children.
Elizabeth Memmer (born in 1882, died in Jan 1963) married to Arnold E Ashbacher (son of Daniel Ashbacher and Mary Ellen Hiester). Five children, one died in infancy.
Henry P. Memmer (born on 19 Aug 1884, died on 19 Oct 1976) - married to Elsie O Clady (daughter of Jacob Clady , II and Susana Zolar). Four children, one died in infancy.
Fred William Memmer (born on 24 Sep 1886, died on 8 Sep 1972) - married to Eva Augusta Hire (daughter of John and Jennie C Hire ). One child.
Sarah Memmer (born on 11 Dec 1888, died in Dec 1963) married to Howard Hall. No children.
Herman Christian Memmer (born on 22 Aug 1891, died on 27 Dec 1980 - married to Lydia Barnhart (daughter of Jacob Bernhardt and Anna Stamm). Nine children.
Albert L Memmer (born on 20 Aug 1893, died on 21 Nov 1977) - married to Clara A Stork (daughter of John H Stork and Alice Glitz). Two children.
Emma Clara Memmer (born on 26 Oct 1897, died on 22 Dec 1970) - married to C Clifford Engel (son of John H Engel and Ida M Clady). Two children, one died in infancy.